The Illinois Prairie District Public Library was formed in July of 1950. It is the second oldest library district in Illinois. It encompasses eight townships: Cazenovia, Clayton, Linn, Metamora, Partridge, Spring Bay, and Worth. This is roughly the northern half of Woodford County. It covers 256 square miles. In 1980, the district served a population of 17,776. Today, the district serves 21,644 inhabitants. Bookmobile service to the schools in the district was provided for 45 years. It was discontinued when the schools developed their own libraries. The district provides service to its patrons through its branch libraries in Benson, Germantown Hills, Metamora, Roanoke, Spring Bay, and Washburn. The Metamora branch houses the district administrative staff. Over the last 15 years, the district has expanded its branches at Spring Bay, Roanoke, and Benson. The library district has recently completed an expansion of its Germantown Hills branch.
The Illinois Prairie District Public Library is composed of 6 branch libraries. Please follow the links below for locations and hours.
The Illinois Prairie District Public Library exists to provide materials, programming, and other services in current demand which reflect contemporary trends and thinking. The district and its branches strive to serve as a center for general and local community gathering and information.
Metamora/Germantown Hills Rotary Club