ILLINOIS PRAIRIE DISTRICT PUBLIC LIBRARY

BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Metamora District Library, Metamora, IL

 

1. Call to order: The Tuesday, October 1, 2013 meeting of the Illinois Prairie District Public Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 4:05 pm at the Metamora District Library in Metamora, IL. Board members present were: Buhr, Hicks, Kouri, Maurer, Rush, and Weddle. Director Fredericksen was also present.

2. Minutes of the last regular meeting: The regular meeting minutes were approved through a motion by Weddle, second by Buhr, and passed by the Board.

3. Public comments: None

4. Per capita grant: This grant must be submitted by October 15. We use the funding to pay for the paid databases that are attached to our website.  Fredericksen will let us know if electronic signatures are needed.

5. Audit report: Last month, Jennifer Goettler of Heinold Banwart, Ltd was present to review the audit report with the Board. It was decided then that we needed to make some changes to our audit report so that it would be more useful for potential bond sales. Goettler sent to the board a chart that breaks down the options for the work as well as the cost of the work. Steve Larson, our financial consultant, recommends that we have both the 2012 and the 2013 audits reissued with the additional note disclosures and supplemental schedules at the cost of $5,100.00. Weddle moved that we accept Larsonís suggestion, and Maurer seconded the motion. The motion passed.

6. Financial consultant: Steve Larson was not present. 

7. District visioning process: Buhr and Kouri met with the District staff concerning the project and have submitted their notes for discussion. The next step is for the Board members to contact the local individuals selected for potential committee member service to confirm their willingness to attend BOTH of the scheduled meetings if at all possible.  Any replacement names would be welcome from those who cannot or do not wish to participate. Kouri provided a list of the names and the phone numbers to Board members as well as a template of the formal invitation letter that will be sent to all willing participants.  Introductory phone calls are to be made and a final list of participants is to be provided to Fredericksen by October 9 so that mailings can go out by October 10th or 11th.  Advisory Task Force (Dreamer) meetings are to be held on 10/28/13 and 11/18/13 from 6:30 - 8:30 pm at the Metamora Legion Hall in Metamora, IL.  Steering Committee (Pragmatic) meetings are to be held on 10/29/13 and 11/19/13 from 6:30 - 8:30 pm at the same location.

8. Germantown Hills site: Fredericksen learned from Dan Mair that the Germantown Hills School District is considering selling the K-2 building in upcoming years. Discussion ensued as to the usability of the building as a library, and the Board agreed that the smaller rooms and the hallways would make the adaptation of the building too expensive for use as a future library building.

9. Backup personnel: Fredericksen reported that the backup for bookkeeping personnel is Dawn Smith.  The backup person for FOIA requests is Erin Roberts. There is no decision yet on what the backup plan is in the event of the Directorís absence.  Fredericksen will write a job description for a backup head librarian and cogitate as to who that person might be as well as create a plan for how to train that person.

10. Volunteer dinner: The volunteer dinner is set for Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm at the Flame Restaurant in Metamora, IL. The guest will be Hugo Kringle, Santa Clausí brother.

11. Doors at Roanoke: Branch Librarian Marge Braker would like to have the 4 doors at the Roanoke Branch Library painted. She submitted a paint sample for Board approval as well as requesting that the door leading into the Food Pantry be replaced with a new one, as the old one has a broken panel. This branch will, in future, be used also as a polling place. Buhr moved that we replace the broken door and paint all four doors the color recommended by the Branch Librarian. Weddle seconded the motion, and the motion was passed by the Board.

12. Facade on Dusty Hutch building: Fredericksen reported that some of the brick on the front of the building is in disrepair (potentially due to water seepage) and could pose a hazard. He will contact a few masons to investigate the source of the problem and to get estimates for potential repairs. Fredericksen will bring the estimates to the next meeting.

13. Policy Review: The board tabled policy review.

14. Treasurerís Report/Approval of Bills and Requisitions: Weddle moved and Kouri seconded to approve the treasurerís report and the bills and requisitions. Motion passed.

15. Comments to guide future agendas: Fredericksen requested that the Board place approval of his attendance to the Public Library Association conference in March on next monthís agenda.

16. Adjournment: Kouri moved and Weddle seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:25 p.m. Motion passed.

 

Library Board home page
Return to your Branch Library Home Page

Benson    GermantownHills     Metamora       Roanoke   SpringBay   Washburn