ILLINOIS PRAIRIE DISTRICT PUBLIC LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR BOARD MEETING
August 6, 2013
Benson Branch Library, Benson, Illionis
1. Call to order: The Tuesday, August 6, 2013 meeting of the Illinois Prairie District Public Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 4:00pm at the Benson Branch Library in Benson, IL. Board members present were Hicks, Kouri, Rush, Weddle, and Zoss. Director Fredericksen was also present; Buhr and Maurer were absent. Kevin Wills, Steve Larson, John Piemonte`, Jon Williams and J. Phillips IV came at varied times during the meeting to give presentations to the Board.
2. Minutes of the last regular meeting: The July, 2013 minutes were approved.
3. Public comments: There were no public comments.
4. Financial consultantís presentations, possible selection: Presentations were given by the following people in consecutive order:
Kevin Wills representing First Midstate;
Steve Larson representing Ehlers;
John Piemonte` representing R.W. Baird; and
Jon Williams, Senior Vice President and J. Phillips IV, Vice President of and representing Commerce Bank of Peoria.
Each representative brought to the Board a description of what they could offer as financial advisors, underwriters, or financing, in addressing the upcoming needs of the Germantown Hills building and also those of the entire district. It was a very informative session. Discussion among Board members confirmed that a financial advisor is a necessity for determining underwriting and banking decisions. Kouri moved that we hire Steve Larson from Ehlers as our financial planner. Weddle seconded the motion and it passed.
5. Public hearing on the tentative budget: Kouri moved that we open the public hearing for comments on the budget; Hicks seconded and the motion carried. There were no comments; Kouri moved that the public hearing be closed and Weddle seconded the motion. The motion passed and the public hearing was closed.
6. Ordinance 13-6: The Budget and Appropriation Ordinance needed approval. Kouri made a motion to pass Ordinance 13-6; Hicks seconded the motion and it carried.
7. IPLAR: We are submitting our Illinois Public Library Annual Report to the Illinois State Library.
8. County Clerk request: Since the Roanoke American Legion hall was flooded this past spring and still needing repair, the County Clerk is requesting use of the Roanoke Branch Library for a polling place on Election Day. Kouri moved that the Board give permission to use the Roanoke library as a polling place; Hicks seconded and the motion passed.
9. Audit of secretaryís minutes: The audit form was signed and ready for submission.
10. Per capita grant: We will plan to spend our per capita grant funds on subscriptions to electronic databases made available from IPDPLíS website.
11. District visioning process: The visioning process will begin with a special meeting on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at the Metamora Library.
12. Notary public: Dawn Smith on Metamora staff has volunteered to serve as a notary public, so that we can begin offering this service from the library. Hicks moved that we offer this service, also paying the fees required of a notary public. Weddle seconded the motion and it passed.
13. GASB 54 resolution addenda: The auditors requested that we add 2 statements to our resolution that we have already passed. Hicks moved that we accept the addenda to the GASB 54 resolution. Kouri seconded and the motion carried.
14. SWOT analysis: As part of the per capita grant requirements, an environmental scan must be done of the library, by staff persons. SWOT is strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. This analysis was distributed to the Board.
15. Health insurance: Health insurance costs for the coming year will decline about 4% beginning in October, 2013. Then, beginning in January 2014, the costs will rise about 4% to cover the costs of the requirements made by the Affordable Care Act that takes effect at that time. Hicks made a motion to approve renewal of our health insurance; Weddle seconded the motion and it passed.
16. Policy review: Tabled.
17. Treasurerís report: Hicks moved that we approve the bills and requisitions; Kouri seconded and the motion passed.
18. Comments to guide future agendas: The levy will be on the September agenda.
19. Adjournment: Kouri made a motion to adjourn at 7:40pm. Zoss seconded the motion and it passed. The next regular meeting of the IPDPL Board of Trustees will be Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 4:00pm at the Germantown Hills Branch Library in Germantown Hills, Illinois.
Submitted by Board Secretary,
Return to your Branch Library Home Page
Benson GermantownHills Metamora Roanoke SpringBay Washburn